Student Pass — Unlimited Monthly Travel
As a full-time college student, you can save an extra 25% on your NJ TRANSIT Monthly Pass when your school participates in our University Partnership Program. It's simple to enroll through the participating college's website for a discounted rail, bus, or light rail pass for unlimited travel during the month. Then conveniently purchase your Student Pass using the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App®. How to Sign Up for Student Pass:
- Log onto your school website
- Search for “Student Pass” or NJ TRANSIT to find the registration web page
- Follow the steps on screen to complete the registration and verify your student email address
- Then download the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App and enter your Student Pass login information
'Student Pass' will display as a ticket choice in the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App each month when passes are available. Purchase of your Monthly Student Pass is available beginning 5 PM on the 19th of the previous month, through the 10th day of the month in which the pass is valid (for example, for a January pass, purchase 5 PM December 19th - January 10th).
It's that easy to save on the commute to class at a partner college or university using NJ TRANSIT bus, rail or light rail. Plus, receive all the benefits of a Student Pass.
- Unlimited monthly travel.
- Save an extra 25% on the commute to class.
- Just like an NJ TRANSIT monthly Pass, Student Pass offers the flexibility to use a rail pass on buses and light rail for most trips of equal or lesser value.
- Rail passes valued at $59 or more, can be used on any NJ TRANSIT light rail line or buses up to the number of zones indicated on the pass. Get details from the ‘Travel Flexibility’ section of the train, bus or light rail ticket webpages.
- Purchase your pass instantly using the mobile app.
- No more forgotten passes! Simply purchase and display your pass from your mobile device.
- Manage your purchases effortlessly, and securely control your transaction information.
The discounted student monthly pass is available exclusively through the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App. The app provides you more control and choices on when, where and how to buy your pass. Plus, when you purchase and display your Student Pass from your mobile device securely and touch-free, there are no mailing or processing fees.
Buy 3 Months, Get 1 Month Free
- To qualify, a student at a partner college/university must buy a Student Monthly pass via the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App for 3 consecutive months: February, March and April 2022.
- After the 3rd qualifying purchase, during the May monthly pass purchase window, the student will receive a monthly pass good for the month of May 2022, equal to the lowest-priced purchase made in the previous 3 months. The pass will be deposited in the student’s account before travel using May passes.
- The free month’s pass is valid for May 2022 use only.
- Through this promotion, a student can save more than 60% off transportation to campus for class during the Spring 2022 semester (February – May) when compared to purchasing one-way transportation.
- The free May 2022 pass is non-refundable and non-transferable and must be used in May 2022 only.
- The May 2022 free pass will not include Metro-North stations or Newark Liberty International Airport.
Student Pass — Partner Colleges & Universities
Enrolled Student Pass — Mobile App Purchase
Get started in a few taps. The colleges and universities listed below are already partners in the program. If you are a student and don’t see your school listed, but would like to participate, have your school's administration contact us to begin a partnership.
- Enrolled Schools A - L
- Atlantic Cape Community College
- Baruch College (CUNY)
- Bergen Community College
- Berkeley College
- Bloomfield College
- Borough of Manhattan Community College (CUNY)
- Brookdale Community College
- Caldwell University
- Camden County College
- Centenary University
- College of Mount Saint Vincent
- Columbia University
- County College of Morris
- CUNY Graduate School of Public Health & Health Policy
- Drew University
- Drexel University
- Essex County College
- Fairleigh Dickinson University
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Felician University
- Fordham University
- Forham Law School-NY
- Georgian Court University
- Hudson County Community College
- Hunter College (CUNY)
- Hussian College
- John Jay College
- Kean University
- Lincoln Technical Institute (Paramus, NJ)
- LIM College
- Long Island University
- Enrolled Schools M - Z
- Manhattan College
- Marymount Manhattan College
- Mercy College
- Monmouth University
- Montclair State University
- New Jersey City University (NJCU)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT)
- New York Institute of Technology
- New York Law School
- New York School of Interior Design
- New York University (NYU)
- Ocean County College
- Pace University
- Passaic County Community College
- Pillar College
- Pratt Institute
- Princeton University
- Ramapo College of New Jersey
- Rider University
- Rowan College at Burlington County
- Rowan College of South Jersey (Gloucester & Cumberland)
- Rowan University
- Rutgers University
- SAE Institute of Technology
- Saint Elizabeth University
- Saint John’s University
- Saint Peter's University
- Seton Hall University
- School of Visual Arts
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- Stockton University
- SUNY College of Optometry
- TCNJ (The College of New Jersey)
- The New School
- Union College
- Universal Technical Institute (Bloomfield, NJ)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Weill Cornell Medical College and Graduate School
- William Paterson University
- Yeshiva University/Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
FlexPass — Multiday Travel Savings
If you commute to campus just a few days a week, the most flexible choice for your trip to class is FLEXPASS. With FLEXPASS, you save 20% on the purchase of 20 one-way tickets to a specific origin and destination. Then use a single ticket for travel when you choose. FLEXPASS is available through the mobile app for rail, bus or light rail, making it the most convenient and secure way to buy your tickets.
Application for Student Tickets — Accredited High Schools, Colleges and Universities
If purchasing a pass using the mobile app is not an option, you may be eligible to complete an Application for Student Tickets. The application enables full-time students attending a school on the NJ TRANSIT Accredited School list to save 25% on a rail pass purchased at an NJ TRANSIT rail station ticket office. This discount is only available for monthly rail passes, not bus or light rail. Visit a ticket office to check eligibility and pick up an application.
To purchase a discounted rail monthly pass in person:
- Attend a NJ TRANSIT authorized school and meet the student pass requirements
- Complete the NJ TRANSIT application for student monthly pass
- Have the application approved by the school (stamped or signed to verify enrollment)
- Present the completed and approved application and valid student ID or receipt for tuition payment to purchase a rail pass
Choose your best travel option:
|Student Pass||FLEXPASS||Rail Printed Student Pass (Application for Student Tickets)|
|Travel for||One month||30 days||One month|
|Ticket Purchase||NJ TRANSIT Mobile App||NJ TRANSIT Mobile App||Available only at train ticket offices|
|Securely purchase & display your ticket||X||X|
Student interns that attend an NJ TRANSIT accredited school in New Jersey, New York, or Pennsylvania may purchase a student monthly pass if the internship is through the school as part of the program to obtain a degree, and it is an unpaid internship. Students must submit a letter, written on the school letterhead stating that the internship is a required part of the school program to obtain the student's degree.
Become a University Partner Today
Universities can help students save money on their commute all year long by participating in our University Partnership Program. Not only will students save money, but fewer students will require on-campus parking, and potential students will realize just how easy traveling to campus can be!
Interested colleges, universities, and post-secondary schools can contact us here. Please complete the form selecting “Request for Information” as Feedback Type, and “Not a Trip” for Mode/Service.
A NJ TRANSIT representative will reach out to get the partnership process started.