SERVICE ADVISORY: NJ TRANSIT OFFERS FAMILY SAVINGS FOR NEW YEAR’S HOLIDAY WEEK
Kids Ride Free on NJ TRANSIT Through January 4th
December 23, 2020
NEWARK, NJ – NJ TRANSIT is offering modified service to get you where you’re going for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Customers will have plenty of flexibility with special service options offered on buses, trains and light rail lines.
NJ TRANSIT is giving customers more than two weeks of continuous savings through a special extension of the Family SuperSaver Fare. For the holidays, all children, ages 11 or younger, ride free with any fare-paying customer. The Family SuperSaver Fare, which began on Friday, December 18th, will continue to be in effect for the entire holiday period, through 6 a.m. Monday, January 4, on the entire NJ TRANSIT system.
For complete schedule and fare information, download the NJ TRANSIT mobile app, visit njtransit.com or call 973-275-5555.
Customers are reminded that face coverings are required while on board all NJ TRANSIT trains, buses, light rail and Access Link vehicles and while in stations and facilities.
Monday, December 28, through Wednesday, December 30: Trains, buses and light rail lines will operate on weekday schedules. Consult timetable or visit njtransit.com for details.
New Year’s Eve, Thursday, December 31:
IMPORTANT NOTE: NJ TRANSIT is prohibiting all beverages on all of its trains, buses and light rail vehicles on Thursday, December 31, 2020, and the early morning hours of Friday, January 1, 2021. This policy will be strictly enforced.
Trains will operate on a regular weekday schedule with the following adjustments:
- Late New Year’s Eve/early New Year’s morning, Montclair-Boonton Line Train 6299 (normally departs New York at 11:41 p.m.) and Morristown Line Train 6683 (normally departs New York 12:02 a.m.) will be cancelled and replaced by trains departing just after 1:30 a.m.
- Early New Year’s morning, trains that normally depart New York/Newark Penn/Hoboken between 12:05 a.m. and 1:35 a.m. will depart 15-55 minutes later than usual.
Buses will operate on a modified weekday or holiday schedule with “early getaway” service from Port Authority Bus Terminal and the Jersey City waterfront. Customers are advised to consult timetables or visit njtransit.com/Holiday-Service-Guide for more details.
Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, Newark Light Rail, and River LINE will operate on a regular weekday schedule.
After 11:40 p.m. on December 31 and through the early hours of January 1, trains will operate on the following modified schedule (customers may also visit njtransit.com for rail schedule information):
- Train 3897 departs New York at 12:29 a.m. (normal departure time is 12:14 a.m.)
- Train 7801 departs New York at 1:14 a.m. (normal departure time is 12:43 a.m.)
- Train 7805 departs New York at 1:59 a.m. (normal departure time is 1:22 a.m.)
North Jersey Coast Line:
- Train 7201 departs New York at 12:43 a.m. (normal departure time is 12:05 a.m.)
- Train 7205 departs New York at 1:22 a.m. (normal departure time is 1:00 a.m.)
- Train 7205 will connect with Bay Head Shuttle Train 4705, which will depart Long Branch at 3:04 a.m.
Raritan Valley Line:
- Train 5401 departs Newark at 12:54 a.m. (normal departure time is 12:29 a.m.). Customers traveling from New York should use Northeast Corridor Train 3897.
- Train 5503 departs Newark at 2:25 a.m. (normal departure time is 1:28 a.m. Customers traveling from New York should use Northeast Corridor Train 7805.
- Train 6683, which normally departs New York at 12:02 a.m. will not operate
- Train 6601 will depart New York at its normal time (12:56 a.m.)
- Customers traveling from Hoboken can use Main Line Train 1133 to Secaucus for a connection to Train 6601
- Additional Train 6603 will depart New York at 1:36 a.m. and make all stops to Dover except Mount Tabor
- Customers traveling from Hoboken can use Pascack Valley Line Train 2101 to Secaucus for a connection to Train 6603
- NOTE: There is NO late-night service to Gladstone. The last train to Gladstone Branch stations (Train 453) departs Hoboken at 11:54 p.m.
- Train 6299, which normally departs New York at 11:41 p.m., will not operate.
- Train 6201 will depart New York at its normal time (12:34 a.m.).
- Additional Train 6203 will depart New York at 1:34 a.m. and make all stops to Montclair State University
- Customers traveling from Hoboken can use Port Jervis Line Train 69 to Secaucus for a connection to Train 6203
- Main Line:
- Train 1133 will depart Hoboken at 12:40 a.m. (normal departure time is 12:08 a.m.)
- Train 1701 will depart Hoboken at 2:05 a.m. (normal departure time is 1:32 a.m.)
- Bergen County/Port Jervis Lines:
- Train 69 will depart Hoboken at 1:20 a.m. (normal departure time is 12:40 a.m.)
- Pascack Valley Line:
- Train 2101 depart Hoboken at 1:28 a.m. (normal departure time is 12:45 a.m.)
New Year’s Day, Friday, January 1: After 4 a.m., trains will operate on a regular weekend/major holiday schedule, including bus service on the Gladstone Branch. River LINE will operate on a Sunday schedule. Newark Light Rail will operate on a Saturday schedule. Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekend schedule. Bus service will vary by route. Customers are advised to visit njtransit.com/Holiday-Service-Guide for details.
- Check Schedules in Advance: Plan your trip online to take advantage of adjusted trains and buses.
- Allow Extra Travel Time: Traffic congestion during the holidays may affect bus travel times to and from New York City, so customers should plan accordingly.
- Luggage: Travel as light as possible. Customers with luggage or packages should use the overhead racks or designated luggage spaces. On multilevel trains, customers with large bags should use the mezzanine levels at the ends of each car.
- Ticketing: Purchase round-trip tickets at the start of your trip to speed your return and use the NJ TRANSIT mobile app, which is available for free download on any web-enabled iOS or Android device, to make the purchase even easier. To make a purchase, customers simply install the app and then create an account, which will securely save a customer’s profile information and purchase history for ease of use. Customers can also use ticket vending machines or see a ticket agent, if available, to avoid possible surcharges. Reminder: Bus customers departing Port Authority Bus Terminal must purchase tickets before boarding.
- Customers are encouraged to download or update the NJ TRANSIT mobile app to set up and receive customized service alert information via push notifications. View the You Tube video for easy instructions on setting up custom push notifications.
- Stay connected to NJ TRANSIT social media during your commute. Search for rail, bus or light rail-specific Twitter accounts for the best information:
- @NJTRANSIT_NBUS (North Jersey Bus)
- @NJTRANSIT_SBUS (South Jersey Bus)
- Facebook: facebook.com/NJTRANSIT
- YouTube Channel: TheNewJerseyTransit
- Sign up for the My Transit alert system on njtransit.com, which delivers travel advisories for your specific trip to your cell phone via email or text.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 925,000 weekday trips on 251 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 166 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.