Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
NJ TRANSIT ANNOUNCES EARLY GETAWAY SERVICE FOR INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEKEND
June 29, 2015
NEWARK, NJ — NJ TRANSIT will offer “early getaway” rail, light rail, and bus service on Thursday, July 2, for the benefit of customers leaving work early for the Independence Day holiday weekend. In addition, there are changes to service throughout the NJ TRANSIT system that will take place through Sunday, July 5th.
Customers planning to use Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) service to and from Liberty State Park for the July 4 “Jersey City Freedom & Fireworks Festival” from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. will encounter crowded conditions and possible delays due to the operating capacity of HBLR system. Customers are strongly advised to purchase roundtrip tickets.
In addition, open containers of alcohol will not be permitted on any of NJ TRANSIT’s services – bus, rail and light rail – on July 4th.
- On Thursday, July 2. Early Getaway service on the Northeast Corridor (NEC), North Jersey Coast Line, Raritan Valley Line, Morris & Essex Lines (Midtown Direct), Pascack Valley Line and Port Jervis.
- Except for the NEC, getaway service information is found in the regular weekday printable timetables.
- Please refer to the NEC outbound ( from New York) getaway service schedule at www.njtransit.com
- North Jersey Coast Line getaway service operates as follows.
- Getaway Trains #8247 (1:40 p.m. from New York) and #8301 (3:20 p.m. from Hoboken) will not operate.
- Getaway Train #8249 (2:33 p.m. from New York, express Newark Airport-Woodbridge) will operate.
- Getaway #Train 8353 departs New York at 3:24 p.m., serves Secaucus and Newark Penn Station, and then operates express to Aberdeen-Matawan. From Matawan, this train makes all stops to Bay Head except Monmouth Park.
- Train #3373 (6:03 p.m. from New York) will not operate.
- On Friday, July 3. Enhanced weekend/major holiday service on all lines with extra “peak period” trains on the NEC, NJCL, RVL, M&E, Montclair and Port Jervis.
- Rail service will operate on the Gladstone Branch, including additional “peak period” trains. Please go to: http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/morris7315.pdf for additional information.
- On Saturday, July 4 and Sunday, July 5. Regular weekend service which includes busing on the Gladstone Branch. On the Port Jervis Line, an extra late-afternoon train each day between Port Jervis and Hoboken.
Port Authority Bus Terminal
· On Thursday, July 2. NJ TRANSIT will provide early getaway service from the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) and from the Hudson River Waterfront on several bus routes and times. If your bus route is not listed at http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/pabtjuly2.pdf then service will be provided on a regular weekday schedule. These trips may be subject to change based on passenger demands on this day.
Please refer to your bus route timetable and Holiday Service Guide Box for service on Friday, July 3 and Saturday, July 4, which can be found at www.njtransit.com.
Intrastate Bus Service
· Bus Route Nos. 128, 131, 132, 133, 135 and 139: Modifications to AM Trips on Thursday, July 2, 2015, In anticipation of lighter customer travel days on Thursday, July 2, please select the link below to view the NJ TRANSIT Bus Routes that will not operate:
AM ONLY: http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=ServiceAdjustmentTo&AdjustmentId=12616
· On Friday, July 3rd and Saturday July 4th, a Saturday level of service will operate on the following lines:
Nos. 2, 10, 22, 23, 72, 74, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 88, 89, 119, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 127, 128, 129, 144, 145, 148, 151, 153, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 171, 175, 177, 178, 181, 182, 186, 188, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 320, 321, 324, 329, 702, 703, 704, 705, 707, 709, 712, 722, 744, 746, 748, 751, 752, 753, 755, 756, 758, 762, 770, 772, 780, 871, 872, 873, 874, 875, 878, 879 and 880.
· In addition to the Saturday Service
· Extra trips on Friday, July 3rd will operate on the following lines - Nos. 156, 158, 159, 161, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 190, 191, 192, 193, 197.
· Extra trips on Saturday, July 4th will operate on the following lines - Nos. 158, 161, 163, 164, 165, 166, 168, 190, 191.
Important notice for customers attending the Liberty State Park fireworks and concert event on Saturday, July 4, 2015: Attendees planning to use Hudson-Bergen Light Rail (HBLR) service to and from Liberty State Park for the July 4 “Jersey City Freedom & Fireworks Festival” from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. will encounter crowded conditions and delays due to the operating capacity of HBLR system.
The HBLR schedule can be viewed at http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf
Customers are strongly encouraged to buy roundtrip tickets from ticket vending machines in advance of the fireworks event.
Light rail vehicles can transport a maximum of 3,000 customers every hour in each direction. Current estimates forecast attendance to potentially be in excess of 100,000 people.
Attendees can expect extensive wait times which could span in excess of several hours, particularly following the event. With this, attendees planning to use the HBLR should build enough time into their travel plans or consider leaving the park before the end of the fireworks.
For more information on all of the above service advisories, NJ TRANSIT Customer Service can be reached at (973) 275-5555 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily.
About NJ TRANSIT
NJ TRANSIT is the nation's largest statewide public transportation system providing more than 915,900 weekday trips on 261 bus routes, three light rail lines, 12 commuter rail lines and through Access Link paratransit service. It is the third largest transit system in the country with 165 rail stations, 62 light rail stations and more than 19,000 bus stops linking major points in New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia.