Home > NJ TRANSIT News > News Releases |
RINGING IN THE NEW YEAR WITH PLENTY OF EXTRA SERVICE
NJ TRANSIT adds 31 trains after midnight on New Year's
December 27, 2004
NEWARK, NJ – After the ball drops and the confetti falls in Times Square this New Year’s Eve, holiday revelers should have no problem finding a train or bus that meets their needs thanks to additional service announced today by NJ TRANSIT. In addition to 16 regularly scheduled overnight trains, NJ TRANSIT will offer 31 extra departures from New York, Hoboken, Trenton and Atlantic City, providing late night service on 10 of its 11 commuter rail lines.
Extra NJ TRANSIT bus service will operate from the Port Authority Bus Terminal on more than two dozen lines until 5:30 a.m. Hudson-Bergen Light Rail service will operate at frequent intervals until 3:00 a.m., and service on the River LINE will be extended until 1:00 a.m.
Meanwhile, NJ TRANSIT Police are planning to step up patrols by uniformed and plain-clothed officers and by K-9 teams on New Year’s to ensure a safe and secure trip for all customers. Customers traveling to New York for New Years Eve are encouraged to purchase round-trip tickets in advance to avoid potentially long lines at Ticket Vending Machines.
The following is a summary of extra rail service in the early morning hours of New Year’s Day:
- Northeast Corridor (seven extra trains): In addition to two regularly scheduled trains after midnight at 12:42 a.m. and 1:41 a.m., NJ TRANSIT will offer five extra trains on the Northeast Corridor from New York Penn Station to Trenton at 12:53 a.m., 1:15 a.m., 2:17 a.m., 3:15 a.m. and 4:15 a.m. In the opposite direction, NJ TRANSIT will offer a regularly scheduled departure from Trenton to New York at 1:02 a.m., plus two extra trains at 2:30 a.m. and 3:50 a.m.
- North Jersey Coast Line (four extra trains): In addition to two regularly scheduled North Jersey Coast Line trains at 12:37 a.m. and 1:37 a.m., NJ TRANSIT will offer two extra trains from New York Penn Station to Long Branch at 2:00 a.m. and 4:20 a.m. Two extra Long Branch-Bay Head connecting trains will be offered at 3:31 a.m. and 5:51 a.m., in addition to two regularly scheduled trains at 2:17 a.m. and 3:17 a.m.
- Main/Bergen and Port Jervis lines (nine extra trains): In addition to two regularly scheduled overnight trains on the Main/Bergen and Port Jervis lines, NJ TRANSIT will offer nine extra departures from Hoboken—seven operating to Suffern and two continuing to Port Jervis. Extra Suffern-bound trains will depart Hoboken at 12:45 a.m. (Bergen), 1:45 a.m. (Bergen), 1:50 a.m. (Main), 2:30 a.m. (Bergen), 3:30 a.m. (Bergen), 4:00 a.m. (Main) and 4:30 a.m. (Bergen). The Port Jervis trains will depart at 1:25 a.m. (operating express to Suffern) and 3:00 a.m. (Main). The regularly scheduled 12:05 a.m. Bergen County Line departure from Hoboken will operate only to Suffern on New Year’s morning, and the 12:50 a.m. Main Line train will operate as scheduled. Customers may board PATH trains for service to Hoboken at 33rd Street, 23rd Street, 14th Street, 9th Street and Christopher Street in New York City.
- Morris & Essex Lines (eight extra trains): NJ TRANSIT will offer eight extra Morris & Essex trains after midnight—four from New York Penn Station and four from Hoboken. The New York trains, which will operate to Dover, will depart at 12:51 a.m., 1:51 a.m., 2:51 a.m. and 3:51 a.m. The Hoboken trains, which will operate to Gladstone, will depart at 12:45 a.m., 1:45 a.m., 2:45 a.m. and 3:45 a.m. Customers may board PATH trains for service to Hoboken at 33rd Street, 23rd Street, 14th Street, 9th Street and Christopher Street in New York City. (Note: Train 405/701 will not operate on New Year’s Day.)
- Montclair-Boonton Line (one extra train): NJ TRANSIT will offer an extra train on the Montclair-Boonton Line from New York Penn Station to Montclair State University Station at 12:57 a.m.
- Raritan Valley Line (one extra train): In addition to three regularly scheduled trains after midnight at 12:07 a.m., 1:05 a.m. and 2:05 a.m., NJ TRANSIT will offer an extra train on the Raritan Valley Line at 4:40 a.m. from Newark Penn Station to Raritan.
- Atlantic City Line (one extra train): On the Atlantic City Line, an extra train will depart Atlantic City at 1:30 a.m. and operate to Cherry Hill. Regularly scheduled overnight trains from Atlantic City to Philadelphia are offered at 12:45 a.m., 4:35 a.m. and 5:50 a.m. From Philadelphia, departures to Atlantic City are offered at 12:50 a.m. and 5:44 a.m.
At the conclusion of extra overnight service, all NJ TRANSIT trains will operate on a weekend schedule on Saturday, January 1 and Sunday, January 2.
On New Year’s Eve, NJ TRANSIT will provide regularly scheduled bus service to the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) from the following Park & Ride facilities: Allwood, Howell, North Bergen, Old Bridge and Ringwood. Additional service to New York will be operated on the 126 line every 15-30 minutes until 4:00 a.m., on the 190 line every 30 minutes until 6:00 a.m. and on the 320 line every 30 minutes until 2:00 a.m.
After midnight, NJ TRANSIT will offer extra outbound bus service on more than two dozen lines from the PABT until 5:30 a.m. During that time, all service will depart from the Upper Bus Level and North Wing Gates. Customers are encouraged to check bus schedules for boarding locations and to purchase tickets prior to boarding to expedite their trip. Round-trip tickets may be purchased from bus operators on inbound routes to New York, from NJ TRANSIT ticket windows and from Ticket Vending Machines located throughout the bus terminal.
On January 1, a Saturday schedule will be in effect on all bus lines.
For the benefit of customers visiting the Battleship New Jersey for New Year’s fireworks, the River LINE will offer late night service on New Year’s morning until 1:00 a.m. Trains will depart Trenton and Camden at 9:30 p.m., 10:00 p.m., 10:30 p.m., 11:00 p.m., 11:30 p.m., 12:00 a.m., 12:30 a.m., and 1:00 a.m. and make all station stops along the line.
Hudson-Bergen Light Rail trains will operate at frequent intervals until 3:00 a.m. between all stations in Weehawken, Hoboken, Jersey City and Bayonne.
On Saturday, January 1, the River LINE will operate on a Sunday schedule. Hudson-Bergen Light Rail service will operate on a Saturday schedule.
The Newark City Subway will operate on a regular weekday schedule on December 31 and on a Saturday schedule on January 1.
For NJ TRANSIT schedules, fares and other information, customers may visit www.njtransit.com or call 1-800-772-2222.
# # #