REMINDER: Bus Route Nos. 153, 154, 156, 158, 159, 171, 175, 178, 181, 182, 186, 188, 755 and 756: Expect Major Delays on the George Washington Bridge due to Alexander Hamilton Bridge Construction - Beginning on or about Friday, July 13, 2012
REMINDER. Bus Route Nos. 153, 154, 156,158, 159,171, 175, 178, 181, 182, 186, 188, 755 and 756 - Expect Major Delays on the George Washington Bridge due to Alexander Hamilton Bridge Construction
On or about Friday, July 13 and continuing through late Fall 2012, New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) will begin construction work on the Alexander Hamilton Bridge in New York City (between Manhattan and the Bronx).
During this phase of construction, one of three eastbound lanes will close for up to six months. As a result:
- Significant travel delays are expected on the eastbound George Washington Bridge (GWB) traveling inbound to New York. At times, travel delays could be up to 60 minutes for eastbound GWB travel.
- NJ TRANSIT bus customers may experience traffic congestion on the local streets in Fort Lee and at the entrances approaching the GWB.
- It is anticipated the weekday AM PEAK (6 AM until 10 AM) and the PM PEAK (3 PM until 7 PM) eastbound traffic congestion will be the heaviest.
NJ TRANSIT bus customers are advised to allow for extra travel time (up to 60 minutes) when traveling to/from the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal and through Fort Lee.
NJ TRANSIT customers are advised to consider NJ TRANSIT Rail service or NJ TRANSIT bus service to PortAuthority Bus Terminal as alternate travel options to/from New York.
NJ TRANSIT customers are advised to review Informational web sites with travel times before travel:
- For real-time traffic information, please call 511 or visit 511ny.org or 511nj.org (select Mega Projects – AHB (Alexander Hamilton Bridge)
- To register for the Port Authority’s text alert or to view alerts for the GWB: btt.paalerts.com
- Project web site for AHB project details: dot.ny.gov
The following NJ TRANSIT Routes operating across the GWB will be directly impacted:
- No. 171: Paterson-New York
- No. 175: Ridgewood-New York
- No. 178: Hackensack-New York
- No. 181: Union City-New York
- No. 182: Hackensack-New York
- No. 186: Dumont-New York
- No. 188: North Bergen-New York
NJ TRANSIT Routes operating locally via Fort Lee that will most likely be impacted:
- No. 153: Fairview-Fort Lee-New York Express
- No. 154: Fort Lee-Palisades Park-New York
- No. 156 &156R: Englewood Cliffs-New York
- No. 158: Fort Lee-Edgewater-New York
- No. 159 & 159R: Fort Lee-New York
- No. 755: Edgewater-Fort Lee-Paramus
- No. 756: Englewood Cliffs-Fort Lee-Paramus
NJ TRANSIT customers are advised to visit njtransit.com for additional information and to sign-up for MY TRANSIT. For further information, call NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at (973) 275-5555.